Planning, Resources & Ideas for the iGCSE Cambridge Syllabus
Theme 1: Population and settlement
1.1 Population dynamics
• Describe the growth of the world’s population and associated problems and show an understanding of the causes and consequences of over-population and under-population.
• Identify and suggest reasons for contrasting patterns of population growth (or decline) as influenced by migration, birth rate and death rate, especially the impact of HIV/AIDS.
• Describe the consequences (benefits and problems) of different patterns of population growth.
• Identify and suggest reasons for different types of population structure as shown by age/sex pyramids.
• Describe the factors influencing the density and distribution of population and population migration.
• Describe and explain the factors influencing the size,development and function of urban and rural settlements and their spheres of influence.
• Describe and give reasons for the characteristics of land-use zones of urban areas in less economically developed countries (LEDCs) and more economically developed countries (MEDCs).
• Describe the problems of urban areas in LEDCs and MEDCs, their causes and possible solutions.
• Describe the impact on the environment resulting from urbanisation and possible solutions to reduce this impact.